KoBoToolbox allows giving different permission levels to a data collection project. While most users may only use a single user to manage, access, and enter data for a given project, sometimes more complex scenarios require different levels of access.
Requiring passwords for accessing forms
By default KoBoToolbox only requires a username and password for accessing data and managing your projects. Forms can be accessed by anyone who knows the respective URL. To require users to log in to access your forms go to Settings inside your online account and tick 'Require authentication to see forms and submit data'. (Note: Currently this can only be set globally for all the projects in your account.)
Setting Project-specific user permissions
To control Project permissions go to the Settings box in your data collection project, enter the username of the user who should get new permissions, select the permission level, then click Save Permissions. The three available permissions are: Can view (access data collected), Can edit (make changes to the collected data or the project description, which includes viewing permissions), or Can submit to (only collect data but not see results). Can submit to can be combined also with viewing or editing privileges.
(Note that 'Can submit to' permissions are only required if your own account (where the project was created) is set to require authentication in order to submit data. To change this, see 'Requiring passwords for accessing forms' above.)
Assigning 'Can Submit To' rights for specific usersYou might want to use one or more users other than your own account to collect data. For example, you created a form and project but have three enumerators in the field, who should only be able to submit data but not access the collected information. Assuming you created your data collection project with username1 and want to share it with username2, username3, and username4:
In the online platform:
- Sign up with the separate users needed for the field, i.e. username2, username3, and username4. Each one needs to be activated but can all point to the same email address.
- Sign back in to your own account (username1). Go to the Project that you want to allow others to submit to.
- Open the Settings box, and under 'Share project with other users' type in 'username2', then select 'Can submit to' and click Save Permissions.
- Repeat the last step for each user.
- Under General Settings in the URL field enter https://kc.kobotoolbox.org or https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info as applicable (don't include the username)
- Then enter the username and password for the user who will use the handset (e.g. username1).